The HREL Norfolk Segment 1B will repurpose I-64 in both directions from I-264 to Tidewater Drive in Norfolk. The three existing general purpose (GP) lanes and shoulders will be converted to one part-time, high-occupancy express shoulder lane and three GP lanes for a total of 7 miles.
This project is currently in design. The HREL Norfolk Segment 1A is under construction.
Major Work Items:
- Bridge replacement of Chesapeake Boulevard in both directions
- Rehabilitation of ten existing bridges
- Noise barriers
- Overhead signing
- Right of way acquisition in spot locations
- Roadway widening in spot locations to maintain minimum shoulder width
- Tolling gantries
- Issue Design-Build Request for Proposals: Fall 2024
- Notice to Proceed: Summer 2025
- Fixed Completion Date: Fall 2028
- Public Hearing Held virtually Dec. 1 and in-person Dec. 2, 2021